Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By schufti
#54908 The measurement was done with an old analog multimeter that has an 2mA range.
I short it out until the esp is in deep-sleep, then I can read/approximate the current.

I have original old 512k esp-01s and some where I swapped the flash against W25Q32BVSSIG, there is no noticeable difference.

The regulator I use is XC6206P332MR and I don't even switch off the BME280, it automatically powers down after readout.
By bbx10node
#54910 I suggest buying a Sparkfun thing board. Or are you required to design your own board? I am pretty sure Sparkfun publishes schematics for their boards so you can see how they did it.

Note: The AMS117 is not designed for battery operation. It has a quiescent current of 5-10 mA.
By Orcanbull
#54954 Honestly everything can be true,

My system goes to < 10 uA its also depending on the voltage regulator you are using,
measuring at the ESP side the system goes to 35 uA which is pretty good.

There are a lot of dependencies is you want a low power system .
By michaeltandy
#54982 Having read schufti's post, I decided to try an ESP-01 module. The module I received is black and uses a "BergMicro 25Q80A" SPI flash chip. It also came with a power LED, which I removed.

With the same program and almost the same circuit as my previous tests, the voltage across a 1 ohm resistor was too small for my cheap 2000-count multimeter to measure. I substituted a 10k resistor which I shorted out until the chip was in deep sleep - then I measured 163 mV across it, implying 16.3 µA :D

I'd still prefer to use the ESP-12F module, as it exposes more IOs, including the all-important GPIO 16. So I guess I'll work through the differences between the modules and circuits until I know what it is. Based on what bbx10node said, the AMS117 will be the first thing to go!