Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By tinhead
hackrid wrote:Thanks for your research :)
But i couldn't find the 0..1V range :(, conversion time, input impedance etc... :(

actually this (except the full range 0~1V which is in the latest datasheet) are things that Espressif haven't published yet.
But in the leaked v0.9.1 you can already see how to use the ADC (see esp_iot_sdk_v0.9.1\examples\IoT_Demo\driver\adc.c)
By hackrid
#578 thanks for that hint.
what disturbs me a little: in this adc module a lot i2c stuff is mentionend. any idea what that means?

is the internal adc a i2c peripheral?
By Squonk
#579 Yes, it looks like :o

Espressif just integrated a 10-bit I2C ADC into the ESP8266EX package and connected it to the tout pin. Only single input without PGA (Programmable Gain Amplifier) nor reference voltage :(

Given the 2µs delay when sampling, it is inherently limited to 500 ksps or less. it will be further limited by the I2C transfer anyway to ~400 kbps if it is not "enhanced I2C".

A dual input ADC with differentil input PGA could have been much more interesting for metering applications for measuring both current and voltage.
By jonsmirl
#588 Next version has dual 12b ADC and will work for metering. It isn't finished yet. I just hope there is enough hardware there to process the metering data in real-time. Does this CPU have a hardware multiplier? 16b x 16b or 32b x 32b? If not, it isn't going to do any metering.