Chat freely about anything...

By rudy
#59479 My strengths are in the hardware end. One of the reasons I am here is to learn more about programming and making use of this little gem.

While the higher processor speed can be helpful it isn't the reason for the faster transfers. I think there are a few areas of improvement, some I understand and others I have not looked into. If I put the car into drive and it moves forward I don't have to know everything involved to make it do that. There are more details at https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/1853 and https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/1430. I now using the current git version but before I did that I had edited a buffer size (double) in one file and it gave a huge increase in speed.

A webserver is a file server. Just a more specialized one. It gets a file request and sends out that file. Maybe that first file is an HTML document and it lists a bunch more files for the client will then request. The problem with the ESP8266 is the limited connections it can handle. If you sent a request for half a dozen files all at once it will process the requests it can handle and then after that it seems to choke. So for my tests above I used a simple html page that included one CSS file to call and then the jpg image file.
But if I were to just put the jpg image file in the browser bar I could load just the one file.

I have been using the SPIFFS for all the files. I have not done any transfers with a SD card yet. I hope to soon though. Just too much to do. First I would do a web server but after that I hope to include ftp support.

While I consider the transfer rate usable for some web page stuff I wonder how useful it can be for transferring large image files. I guess it depends on how many you have and the file size.
By rudy
#59552 I just got the example SD card web server running with some big files. And as stated before I am running the current git version.

10mb file takes 50 seconds to load to my pc. (details in previous post) On average I am getting 200kb per second transfers to the pc. To the tablet it is horrible. With the SD server sketch I did the same image transfers as I described in my earlier post (about 400k) and the transfer time is much worse compared to the SPIFFS based sketch. I need to look into this some more.