- Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 pm
Thank you for the response, but I am still quite confused with the ESP8266 chip.
1) From your responses, am I correct to say that by plugging in the usb cable from Arduino to connect to the computer and then uploading the code to Arduino Mega is actually loading the firmware (Arduino IDE program) into ESP8266? Which is why I need to connect GPIO0 to GND. What do I do with GPIO2 and RST? Does it need any connections?
2) I tried with the same connection as before, but this time with the GPIO0 grounded, with GPIO2 and RST left unconnected
. I then upload the same code to Arduino Mega, but the blue LED still did not light up when I enter any random character into the serial monitor. This probably means the ESP8266 did not receive anything (which it should, according to the code), while the Arduino Mega's TX and RX LED did light up when characters are enter at the serial monitor.
The blue LED did give a brief flash for once
when i plug in the usb cable to the computer when the power source is available to power the ESP8266. (Previous time, it flash three times instead when GPIO0 is not grounded)
3) I did some reading and found out that GPIO0 needs to be grounded and GPIO2 connects to VCC
in order to get into the UART programming mode (am i right?). So I tried playing around with the connections and have GPIO0 grounded, RST left unconnected and GPIO2 connects to VCC
. It yields the exact result as from point 2 above.
4) With reference to point 3 above, I changed the connections slightly and had GPIO0 grounded, RST connect to VCC and GPIO2 connects to VCC
. Then I connect Arduino to PC and the blue LED becomes to have the light on all the time
, even after uploading the code. After uploading the code with the connections left untouched, the serial monitor became flooded with random characters as well as the words "SOFTSERIAL AVAILABLE".
I suspect I am doing something wrong with the connections? Would greatly appreciate if someone provide a step by step tutorial on the connections to the uploading of code to the suppose output to get. I googled extensively and read almost all the guides available online but are too confusing or not clear enough as I am new. Please help!! Greatly appreciated with many thanks.