Current News

Moderator: Mmiscool

By trackerj
#67900 Hi Mike,

Can you plese update the Examples section link on the ESPBasic website (https://www.esp8266basic.com/) to point out to the new valid esp8266-projects.com ESPBasic Tutorials link please.

Old link: http://www.esp8266-projects.com/search/label/ESPBasic

New valid link: http://esp8266-projects.com/category/espbasic/

For all of you that have sent me messages and emails and are looking after the esp8266-projects.com ESPBasic related Articles & Tutorials I have some good news:

- all the old ones will be reviewed, cleaned up, reformated and imported on the new website
- more new and interesting ones are waiting on the queue to see the light! :)

You might experience broken links for few days until all data will be migrated and verified. Please accept my apologies but as it is a personal project funded just from my own pocket the resources that can be allocated are limited.

Thank you all for your kind words and also for the received support!

Happy breadboarding,
TJ.

<something worth to be read>

Sometime in the future when all will be back to normal I might write an article or even more about this story. I'm sure many of you will find it interesting and a lesson to learn.

Long story short, if any of you have any kind of valuable data online, in the cloud, in "very safe" online/cloud/whatever places guarded for you by google, microsoft or the mighty dragon itself, if you really care about your data BE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A LOCAL, OFFLINE BACKUP!!

Never trust ANY provider, doesn't matter his name. As bigger it is, as dangerous is for your data!

If you trust SLA's and fancy data insurance contracts and you loose your data for various reasons (and believe me, you cannot even imagine some of them), I wish you luck to sue a big Fortune500 Company.

I have all the time 3 copies of my important data offline: daily backup, operational backup and full DRP backup. And this is the only reason that you might see soon back online the esp8266-projects.com content!
</something worth to be read>
By Electroguard
#67911 I'm sorry to hear you've had problems TJ, and glad to hear that you've taken sufficient precautions to be able to recover from them yourself.

As TJ has evidently found out, no other company has any vested interest in you except what they can gain from you. The bigger the company, the more mercenary and soul-less they become, eventually turning into a law unto themselves, even imposing their will on nations. Swim with those greedy sharks at your peril, but know that values like trust and fair play apply only to niave clients - not corporate monsters - so don't be in any doubt who will be the loser in any conflict.

The Internet has become indispensable, but it is wise to recognise that it is a worsening war zone where criminal activity and disasters have become the daily norm.
And you aint seen nuthin yet!
The worst of humanity lurks in it's lawless shadows to prey on innocent victims, while nations strive to inflict blameless harm on each other without conscience or concern for collateral damage.
Connecting to the Internet is like playing russian roulette with a loaded gun... the question isn't IF, it's WHEN.
And if you smugly feel invulnerable, remember it's not only intended targets who suffer consequences.
Expect crippling Meltdowns.
And don't expect anyone with sufficient power to want to 'fix' the internet... it is already a monsters dream come true, and no monster will willingly offer to relinquish such power.

I prefer not to willingly become an Internet slave.
So I deliberately avoid the easy convenience of 'Cloud addiction', and hedge my bets by using independents such as Mozilla rather than handing my soul to the devil on a plate.
But it's merely based on personal opinion of course.
By Oldbod
#67962 Microsoft offer 5TB of storage with their £80 a year office365 subscription model. That's amazingly cheap, and the only way it can be done is with no personal interest in your data. (And probably only a very small %takeup). Cloud providers are hugely motivated to keep the generic whole safe, but OTOH have very little interest in your data personally. They are also an obvious target for malicious attention, because of the effect a successful attack will have.

So I'd entirely agree - use them by all means, but assume that anything stored there is vulnerable. Good practise used to be airgap, and a suitable geographic distance between where you keep instantaneous/daily backups and your backup(s) of last resort. You might argue the cloud provider gives that geographic separation. Gfs,as it was back in the mists of time....