Chat freely about anything...

By yodrack
#74681 Hi everybody !

I use ESP01 and I encounter a problem with a specific hardware module and no probem with other modules, let's name ESP01-bad the one with problem and ESP01-good any of other modules.

1/ ESP01-bad and ESP-01-good are flashed with the SAME program AI-thinker
2/ I use AT commands
3/ on ESP01-bad AT commands are OK except AT+CWLAP
4/ on ESP01-good when I use AT+CWLAP (after AT+CWMODE=1 to set Station mode) I got the list of all surrounding wifi networks around my place
5/ on ESP01-bad when I use AT+CWLAP (after AT+CWMODE=1 ) I got just one or two or no wifi network
6/ when I use other sketches not related to Wifi (ie activate GPIOs) ESP01-good and ESP01-bad work identically
7/ I carefully check the antenna circuit on ESP01-bad, redo some soldering, I even changed the capacitor between the chips and the antenna but nothing change

do you have any idea regarding this problem ? Thanks
By splodgie
#82117 Hi, I know it's a bit late with a reply but have only just started using some ESP-01's I got ages ago and run into Bad wifi on them (I have 20+ good ESP-01's & 5 Bad ones now).
The ones with the problem are the single LED/Black PCB with PUYA 1MB flash chip on it, Thinking it could be the flash chip on it I did my normal mod chip swap from 1MB to 4 MB like all my other ESP-01's I have, After mod it still has bad Wifi.
I have the same WiFi repeater program running on 3 other and get 7mbps up/down, but the bad ESP-01's I only get 1mbps up load and 1.25mbps download.
I have removed all components off the PCB tested them all ( Except the ESP8266 chip ) and re-flowed them all back into place, still works the same with bad WiFi,
The ESP8266 chip chips on the bad modules have different font writing on them compared to the good chips. So it think it the ESP Chip is causing the problem, trouble is swapping the ESP chip out with a new one is not realy worth it . But if I ever swap out the ESP chip I will re-post a update.

Splodgie
By splodgie
splodgie wrote:Hi, I know it's a bit late with a reply but have only just started using some ESP-01's I got ages ago and run into Bad wifi on them (I have 20+ good ESP-01's & 5 Bad ones now).
The ones with the problem are the single LED/Black PCB with PUYA 1MB flash chip on it, Thinking it could be the flash chip on it I did my normal mod chip swap from 1MB to 4 MB like all my other ESP-01's I have, After mod it still has bad Wifi.
I have the same WiFi repeater program running on 3 other and get 7mbps up/down, but the bad ESP-01's I only get 1mbps up load and 1.25mbps download.
I have removed all components off the PCB tested them all ( Except the ESP8266 chip ) and re-flowed them all back into place, still works the same with bad WiFi,
The ESP8266 chip chips on the bad modules have different font writing on them compared to the good chips. So it think it the ESP Chip is causing the problem, trouble is swapping the ESP chip out with a new one is not realy worth it . But if I ever swap out the ESP chip I will re-post a update.

Splodgie

UPDATE
Follow the Ant trace on the PCB to the first component (resistor should be 12k, not 1200k) I just shouted it out with some tweezers for a quick bodge test and bingo it started to work as normal 7mbps up/down.
I bridged the res out and checked it was not doing anything out of the normal 65ma ish and left it running for the rest of the day and night running at 100% data transfer load, still running OK this morning.
( This Bodge fix is for what they call ESP8266-01s,single led version. manufactured by God knows who using God knows what from God knows where)
Bodge.JPG
Pic
By splodgie
#82130 UPDATE2.
Same MOD but you NEED to put a 12/10k resistor in place.
When shorted it works for testing OK but it has limited WiFi range, fitting a 12/10k resistor gives it it's full WiFi range. (I only had 10k and that's what I fitted, testing alongside my other ESP8266-01 the range seems a bit better).
Splodgie