Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rudy
Luiz Almeida wrote:I was googling about that same issue and got here. ;)

Could you be more specific. What is the same issue? The last post from the OP was that he suspected a problem on his PCB.
Does someone have this working properly?

Based on the second post in this thread I would say yes.

I have also used those charger boards to supply ESP modules from 18650 batteries. I have also used that board in a commercial design for a Raspberry Pi with minor modifications, removed the USB connector, lift and connect to the enable pin of the charger chip.
By schufti
#74800 sometimes just connecting the battery to the board does not orderly initialize the TP4056.
Did you try to connect it to usb charger until signalled to be fully charged and then do your checks without further disconnecting the battery?
By Luiz Almeida
#74804 Hi rudy,

rudy wrote:What is the same issue?

I'm sorry to not be so clear. I was talking about the whole main thread (ESP8266 BATTERY POWERED / CHARGING SOLUTION)

I'll buy a TP4056 board from ebay to give a try :)
I'll report back as soon as I get it.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,

LA
By sej7278
#74822 never had a problem with the tp4056 and the esp8266. i tend to use them directly without a regulator, the current usage will be a bit higher above 3.6v but it doesn't damage the chip in my experience (several boards 24/7 for a year+)

you do know that when the tp4056 first arrives it will be in sleep mode, you have to plug in a battery and plug it into usb (only briefly not a full charge cycle) to turn it on otherwise it only outputs about 100mA.

i have however had unlimited problems with regulators and esp8266, the thing fecking hates regulators. i've tried smd ht7833's which are almost totally useless (possibly its those awful white breakouts that's the problem there). i've had some success with through-hole mcp1700's, but the main thing is to have a 470uF to 1000uF capacitor on the power rail (as well as 100nF) to cope with spikes and drops of the regulators. 100uF is not enough by any stretch.

two things they need to do with the next esp8266 after the esp12s:
1. make them less fussy about power;
2: put 2.54mm headers on them.