Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By spy king
#75557 A bit late, but I had shelved the project, using the Arilux of the shelf solutions in the interim.
But, now I am reaching the limit of those, and want to get these done. Any comments?

ESP12E_ControlNode.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By spy king
rudy wrote:Add a pull up resistor to RX.

I don't know what conftdi will do but if you will be using I2C then I would also add pull up resistors there. 2K2

Thanks for the quick feedback rudi, SCL and SDA already have 10k pullups, as I plan to use GPIO02 and GPIO00 respectively for it.

What is the thinking behind the pull up on Rx?
By rudy
spy king wrote:What is the thinking behind the pull up on Rx?

For some reason if RX is not high on boot user code will not run. I can think of a couple of possible reasons but they are just guesses.

A lot of people use boards with usb-serial converters on board. The converter gives the RX pin a high so they don't see the problem. Even if they are not connected to a usb port. (board externally powered) All my boards are without usb converters. I have external ones, and had always been present in development. But then one day I had reason to just run the ESP without a converter attached, and it didn't work. I added the pull up and after that all was happy again. I always include an RX pull up resistor on my board designs.