Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By mikeinnc
Lenbok wrote:So I de-soldered the mains pins (which were a pain in the rear) enough to let me remove the board and trace the pins

Well, you are a better man than me! I just could *not* unsolder those huge pins - well, not without severe damage to board and case! So, what I did was put a four pin header upside down on the board and then carefully soldered it from the 'topside'. With the plastic spacer at the top, there's enough space to get a fine iron tip in and do that - and the spacer held them in place. One they were soldered, I actually removed the spacer so that there was sufficient pin length to take my female fittings from the USB adapter (because despite my care, there was a small blob of solder at the base of the pin); sucessfully flashed the Tasmota software, and replaced the spacer as a precaution ('cos, hopefully, I won't have to do it often!). Hope that helps the next Aussie or Kiwi that wants to do this!! :D