So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By QuickFix
rudy wrote:The bigger question is, why is he using an Arduino in the first place.

Good thinking, wasn't paying attention enough myself.
(It's rather warm in the office atm, since the airco broke down and still isn't repaired, so I'm having trouble thinking straight). :oops:

Long time ago I used the UNO, since I discovered the ESP. ;)
By rwb
#76429 The RX-RX and TX-TX passes through USB so you can type AT commands into the serial monitor and see the results from the ESP8266.

The Arduino cannot supply enough power on its 3.3V pin for the ESP8266.

However, the RX and TX pins on the ESP8266 are 5V tolerant so nonlevel shifting is required.
By QuickFix
rwb wrote:However, the RX and TX pins on the ESP8266 are 5V tolerant so nonlevel shifting is required.

No, they're actually not (that something works, doesn't automatically mean it's good practice and/or stays working).

Unless, of course, you can show us some Espressif documentation that proves us otherwise. :idea:
By McChubby007
rwb wrote:The RX-RX and TX-TX passes through USB so you can type AT commands into the serial monitor and see the results from the ESP8266.

The Arduino cannot supply enough power on its 3.3V pin for the ESP8266.

However, the RX and TX pins on the ESP8266 are 5V tolerant so nonlevel shifting is required.

No pins on the esp8266 are tolerant of 5v.
I get really cheesed off when wrong information is spread around, based upon hearsay without solid evidence, on the internet because it is very easy to take hold as it's convenient information and then we all suffer when we believe it as fact.