Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By picstart
#76569 I used the portable folder method. The esp8266 boards came in from json install in Arduino using an url in preferences. The esp32 doesn't yet come in that way so a separate install method using github files was used.
It could be the ESP8266WiFi and WiFi used by ESP32 are the source of the issue. That is to say WiFi is not a superset of ESP8266WiFi.
Anyway I'm running ESP8266 under 1.6.9 and the ESP32 under 1.8.5 and it isn't a major inconvenience
By btidey
#76572 I am not sure it will make any difference but I did not use the URL method to pull esp8266 support in.

I followed the method as described and put the git parallel to the esp32 and then did a get for the tools.

That way the ESP32 and ESP8266 have a similar tree structure under espressif
By McChubby007
#76573 Have you considered moving over to using PlatformIO to manage all of the various boards, libraries and dependencies. I have only used it for a single board (esp32), but it is a joy to use. I still use my old and trusted setup with esp8266 core and Eclipse IDE, but I do intend to move to PlatformIO once my current work is done, as it seems to take away all these kinds of headaches. I have read that it's perhaps not so useful for 'bleeding edge' cores/libraries etc (which aren't in its repo), but I have no experience with that.