So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Nicolas BONNIOT
#76758 Hello,
I'm a newbie and it seems that I bricked my NodeMCU Amica (ESP8266) board... But perhaps not in the "usual" way. I'm on Ubuntu, flashing with esptools and my IDE is ESPlorer (so using Lua).
Here is the steps I did
    Flash the MCU successfully with firmware generated using the cloud service
    Make LED blink successfully using ESPlorer (115200 bauds, /dev/ttyUSB0)
    Make the infinite loop error in init.lua...
    Manage to get it through by erasing flash (firmware + user program space)
    Reflash it successfully
    Start more elaborate booting sequence : instead of using timer, I wanted to test GPIO 0 state : if low, go to "program mode" by returning, if high, continue normal startup sequence

I successfully sent my primitive test with GPIO 0, and it worked as expected (writing "program mode" when GPIO 0 low on startup, and "run mode" when it's high.

But now, I can't manage to connect my board with esptools. It fails with :
Code: Select allesptool.py v2.4.1
Found 1 serial ports
Serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
/dev/ttyUSB0 failed to connect: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

If I try to edit my init.lua from ESPlorer, I get always
Code: Select all> Waiting answer from ESP - Timeout reached. Command aborted.

My code :
init.lua
Code: Select alldofile('crazy-guard.lua')

crazy-guard.lua

Code: Select allgpio.mode(0,gpio.INPUT)
programPinValue = gpio.read(0)

if(programPinValue == 0) then
    print("Program mode")
    return
else then
   dofile('program.lua')
end

program.lua
Code: Select alldofile("credentials.lua") -- get Wifi credentials
gpio.mode(pin,gpio.OUTPUT)
while true do

end

I thought that with the return if GPIO 0 is low, I could easily reprogram my nodeMCU... But I can't even manage to flash again.

Furthermore, when I establish connection from ESPlorer, I get this header (meaning for me that hardware connection problem isn't at stake) :

PORT OPEN 115200

Communication with MCU..Got answer! Communication with MCU established.
AutoDetect firmware...

Can't autodetect firmware, because proper answer not received (may be unknown firmware).
Please, reset module or continue.
ld����#�n � l� #|���2�{���b��no�lNn��� cp��$rdrlp�n� � d  bN�|��䎟� c��oN�d��$`�no�s$or���N rld p�n� r����� b N��o�l�p��on��l �oN �ln{���o �l p�N� r����� b N�|l섎p��on��l �no �{lNs���� �{${��o �{$����n�{��n|�lll$`b� �|{�l�n��n�l`��r�l�$� $`��{�l�$� l`��{�l ��� dl`rl��o��bc ��cp| "p���p����lB��N�Nn�ld��l�� d�$��� �$��d �n����b l$��2b ���"l�crlr

NodeMCU custom build by frightanic.com
branch: master
commit: 5073c199c01d4d7bbbcd0ae1f761ecc4687f7217
SSL: false
modules: file,gpio,http,i2c,mqtt,net,node,ow,tmr,uart,wifi
build built on: 2018-03-22 17:00