Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By timg11
#77760 What is everyone using for developing on the D1 Mini NodeMCU?

I started with LuaLoader, which seems to be stable, but it is painfully slow. Even at 115K bps, it takes a surprisingly long time to upload small source files.

I tried ESPlorer, but found it unstable in my Windows 10 / 64 environment, with the entire ESPlorer GUI becoming unresponsive. It's development didn't progress beyond version 0.2.0-rc3 in 2016.

So I've gone back to LuaLoader. It never made it past V0.91 also in 2016.

What are people here using now? Are any tools currently being developed and maintained? What do you think is "best"?

Or has Lua NodeMCU lost interest and support from the community? Are people now focusing on native C on the ESP8266 in the Arduino environment?
By marcelstoer
timg11 wrote:What are people here using now? Are any tools currently being developed and maintained? What do you think is "best"?

That is very subjective of course. In January 2017 I created https://frightanic.com/iot/tools-ides-nodemcu/ to give developers an overview of the tools available.

For uploading Lua files NodeMCU-Tool is still very actively maintained.
By timg11
marcelstoer wrote:For uploading Lua files NodeMCU-Tool is still very actively maintained.

Thanks! I'll look into NodeMCU-Tool again. The first time I wen through your tools list, I saw the Github page and all the Linux examples, and I thought I'd be charting new territory to get it running in WIndows. As I look more carefully, it seems the Node.js Installer might be the solution to that issue.