Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By QuickFix
#79493 Checksum error indeed means that the upload of the firmware failed somehow.
Try at a lower baud rate (like 9600 Baud) and if that doesn't work see if GPIO0, GPIO2 and GPIO15 are as they should ("UART-mode" when flashing):
ESPModes.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By tplindley
#79503 I received about 15 of these chips and cannot program any of them using my programming setup. None of these new chips will boot. But I can program and run older chips of both types (with two LEDs and only the single Blue LED). So it feels like this batch of chips is bad and I am curious what you folks think. Thanks.
By btidey
#79504 I once had a batch of esp modules which wouldn't flash successfully QIO mode but flashed OK in DIO mode. This was probably due to a different flash chip or how it was wired.

Might be worth trying DIO mode to see if that makes a difference.
By tplindley
#79509 Think I resolved my issue. I must have specified the wrong board, changed to the following and was able to program all the chips and they boot fine. Very strange problem as I received two chips today on a single order and one worked while the other did not. Once I changed the board type in the project and went to dout for the flashing, everything seemed to click.

board = esp01_1m
framework = arduino
board_build.flash_mode = dout

Thanks for the help!