Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By tipo1000
#79513 Hello,

According to the spec ESP8266 works down to +2.5V.
Do you know if wifi TX power stays the same down to +2.5V?
Or does it change with supply voltage?

Is there a way to measure ESP8266 TX power without actual RF analyzer?

Thanks,
Tipo
By QuickFix
#79521 I'm not sure, but as long as you make sure you give the ESP solid power within the limits, power output shouldn't be affected.

Measuring output power of a device in real-time without proper equipment, specially with carriers other than plain and simple FM on higher frequencies, isn't that easy.
I've played with a simple microwave leak detector in the past for relative values and that gave a nice indication for little money.
micronta_microwave_leakage_detector_1018972.jpg

There are also apps for smart phones that are able to scan WiFi channels and give relative power levels. :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By btidey
#79524 Many routers will give an indication of signal strength of each connected wifi device so that can be used to check how TX power is affected by supply voltage.

I use routers using TOmato based software which give a good power indication.

Alternatively if you put the device into AP mode then you can use an App like Wifi Analyzer (Android) to see what the strength of the AP power is.