Chat freely about anything...

By SupDoc
#80360 I am using this site to get my ESP-12 working:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Gettin ... 66-ESP-12/
But according to the site I can't get past the 3rd AT command before encountering an error. Here is the output of the Serial Monitor:
AT

OK
AT+GMR

OK
AT+CWMODE?

ERROR
AT+CWMODE=3

ERROR
I have followed each step carefully but to no avail. Any advise would be gratefully appreciated. I am attaching a copy of the photo.
Attachments
ESP-12 Setup.JPG
By btidey
#80361 Not all AT command sets are the same and it could be that command is not supported in your version

In the Espressif at documentation

AT+CWMODE – WiFi mode
This command is deprecated. Please use AT+CWMODE_CUR or AT+CWMODE_DEF instead.

Where CUR only makes changes temporarily and DEF stores the change permanently in flash.

So it could well be the AT+CWMODE has been removed in the AT firmware you are running and you should try the newer versions.

Having said that, in my view and I suspect many others, using the AT commands is not a good way to use the esp modules. In many cases on can run the whole app on the module, replacing any arduino. Where a more powerful of more IO intensive master module is needed then putting app specific firmware on the esp to provide services to the master device is easier than running AT commands which never quite do what you want.
By SupDoc
#80362 I'm not a very sophisticated user. I have been running a NodeMCU 1.0(ESP-12E) with several successful programs, Now I need to run things on battery, I was hoping to use the simpler 12-E, program it, then disconnect the CP2102 and save battery, I don't know what the AP commands are all about. Where have I gone astray?
By the way I tried your other AT commands - got the same error message.
By btidey
#80365 As the board is responding to at least some commands then the hardware is OK.

Now forget the AT commands and program it with what you want.

You say you have put some programs on the NodeMCU so you should be able to do the same with the ESP-12.

Are you using Arduino to handle the NodeMCU. If so then same set up will work with ESP-12. The only difference is how to get the module into the upload mode before you upload your sketch.

The NodeMCU does this automatically. For the ESP-12 then GPIO0 needs to be at 0V when the board is reset. So move your GPIO0 wire to 0V, then do a reset by connecting RST to 0V temporarily. Move the GPIO0 wire back to high and your are ready to upload the sketch.

It can be worth putting buttons on the GPIO0 and reset lines to make this easier to do. It is also possible to use a simple circuit to do it automatically like a NodeMCU.

For battery operation you will want to check out how to use deep sleep.