Have questions about FETS, transistors, measurement, power supplies, or anything else electrical?

By Lenard van der Maas
#81511 Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so let's hope this works.

I've been planning to automate my room/house myself as a nice project. I planned to do it with as few plug and play devices as possible, so I'll have to create them myself. I want to start by creating a wireless light switch using a esp8266 module. I've read quite a lot about all the different options and I'm having trouble deciding which combination of hardware to use.

I think I want to use an esp-01 module, as the only actuator connected to it will be a relay.
I'm struggling to find a good way of supplying power to the module, as it will sit in the wall and the only power there is 230v. I've read that I shouldn't buy them from china as these aren't safe. Is there a good step down converter that I could just put in between? Could I just take any random phone charger that outputs 5v, remove the casing and connect it?
Then there is also the relay, which I don't know where to get. I would prefer a solid state relay (silent), but I don't really know where to get these.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lenard
By QuickFix
#81534 I think it's much easier (and safer) to get a Sonoff (like a basic or a S20) for less than $10 and use that instead of wiring everything yourself.
If you'd use that, you'll have a flying start.

FYI there's an ESP8266 inside those Sonoffs, but you'll have to also get yourself a USB -> UART convertor and do some little mods to the PCB to be able to program them.
By Lenard van der Maas
QuickFix wrote:I think it's much easier (and safer) to get a Sonoff (like basic or a S20) for $10 and use that instead of wiring everything yourself.
If you'd use that, you'll have a flying start.

FYI there's an ESP8266 inside those Sonoffs, but you'll have to also get yourself a USB -> UART convertor and do some little mods to the PCB to be able to program them.

A few questions, but first, thanks for the reply!

Could you explain to me why you recommend buying a development board instead of a simple ESP01?
And if I buy a development board, would the Sparkfun Thing be a good idea?
And if I finish developing and everything works, couldn't I just use a ESP01 instead of a development board to save money and space?

The Sonoff seems like a good idea, I'll need to do some programming, but I was planning to do that anyways, so that seems like the easiest option.

Lenard