Advanced Users can post their questions and comments here for the not so Newbie crowd.

Moderator: eriksl

By Solomon Candy
#82357 The new RTOS SDK is very well organised. Looks like they got some real pros onboard and the new project oozes of technical rigidness even if it feels a bit hard to understand, especially the build system that I spent a couple days on understanding.
The NONOS SDK's include's are a mess. I remember you had to #include "ip_addr.h" before #include "espconn.h" - very bad design .. straight up newbie. Much more trouble followed if you wanted to #include some lwip headers.
By eriksl
#82358 It's even way more bad than you describe here, if you want to stick to strict ISO C. I had to improvise lots of workarounds to get it even compiling. Then I decided I had enough and created my own include file.
By eriksl
#82359 BTW I hate it that for ESP32 (or ESP8266 for that matter) you can't simply ditch the RTOS or even SDK layer and program on the hardware layer, like it's usual for a microcontroller. I don't want to be held back by bugs and bad programming from Espressif.
By Solomon Candy
#82360 Oh how I'd like that!

By the way, I've been having this really weird problem with a professional project on the esp8266 and because of it, it looks like I'll have to shift to the RTL8710 or some other alternative. I think the problem is on the hardware level - and it's probably not a bug, just a hardware limitation. I'll be sharing the problem on this forum with some proof soon.
Until then, let me ask you this: How many peers on the link-level-layer do you think you can simultaneously ping successfully? However many that are connected to the WLAN? Think again!