Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By rudy
#82854 I hate DFN packaging. Of course there is worse. Stuff like that I try to avoid. Use something else if I can. I always try to make things as easy as possible to manufacture. Even if I have to do more work, jump through hoops, to get a workable design.

When I design a product I think of the functional aspects first, it needs to be able to do the job. Then the customer. How easy it is for them to use. Then the manufacturing department. Then the purchaser. And last me.
By lucasromeiro
davydnorris wrote:
lucasromeiro wrote:...
Now I understand why I did not use the voltage regulator you mentioned in the list. His package is extremely difficult to weld. Can you solder manually without problems?

I am lucky enough to know a great hardware designer with a reflow oven :-)

The NCP186A unit comes in a DFN12 package which is *just* able to be done with a very fine tip iron but an oven is the best.

That's the problem...
I do not have a reflux oven.
If he's going to use it he'd think about letting the Chinese weld ..
But it would be complicated to maintain ...
By lucasromeiro
rudy wrote:I hate DFN packaging. Of course there is worse. Stuff like that I try to avoid. Use something else if I can. I always try to make things as easy as possible to manufacture. Even if I have to do more work, jump through hoops, to get a workable design.

When I design a product I think of the functional aspects first, it needs to be able to do the job. Then the customer. How easy it is for them to use. Then the manufacturing department. Then the purchaser. And last me.

I also hate these packages that can not be soldered.
I'm evaluating what to do!
Thanks for the tips Rudy!
I'm very worried if there's going to have to be any maintenance on a board with such a board. it would be very difficult