So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By LBussy
#83475 Now I see it better, was on my phone this morning.

If it were me, and it ain't, I would start clean with my own code. An RTD needs an amplifier, but it's still a pretty easy setup. Have a look at this post which has someone making the RTD sensor/amplifier work, and then this project which does pretty much everything you want but with the wrong sensor. Merge those two together and Bob's your uncle.

I think if you want to get fancy and you Google "ESP8266 temperature monitor smoking" you will find some interesting stuff like this project which is half baked but a potential source of information.
By Waltec
#83476 [quote="QuickFix"]You should at least have some basic electronics knowledge and preferable some equipment like a logic analyser and/or an oscilloscope to measure signals.

Yep, I figured this was the case. I looked for a step by step Make to learn from, but, no joy.

What I really need is a mentor/tutor that is interested in the hack. The concept is solid... my skills are nowhere close. A family, full time unrelated job and such make immersing myself in this sort of learning tough.

I'm thinking joining my local maker space might lead to avenues for learning along these lines.

I'll review what you've posted. Thanks for the feedback.
By btidey
#83477 One way to proceed is to get a 433MHz RX module (preferably superhet type) which you would need to receive this type of signal.

Attach the RX output of the module to a GPIO pin on an ESP8266.

You then use some simple sniffer software to capture the widths of the incoming pulses. Either write them to a SPIFFs file or buffer them up and write out on serial when capture finishes.

There will be a lot of background noise pulses when the thermometer is not transmitting but when it transmits then you should get a clean signal. The trick is to search through what appears to be random short pulse widths until you find a more regular set of pulses which represent the transmitted message.

The protocols used by these devices tend to be fairly simple so once you get a few message captures then it is normally possibly to work out what the message means.