So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By metalbass_92
#85531 Hello,

I've been trying to get my ESP01 boards to run for some days now.
I've been able to flash a board with the Arduino IDE, but when it's time to run it, nothing happens.

The only thing I've been able to see is this:
Code: Select allksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v951aeffa
~ld

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v951aeffa
~ld

This is the code that I try to run, a hello world:
Code: Select allvoid setup() {
  Serial.begin(74880);
  Serial.println("setup");
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("loop");
}

Also tried the blink program with no luck. I read online that some boards using ESP8266 has different LED configs, so I decided this was the simplest thing I could try instead.

I think that the code is not actually being stored on the flash memory, so I'm doing something wrong during the upload.

This is the setup on a breadboard I have for uploading the code:

1. The CH_PD and VCC pins are connected to a XY-014 voltage regulator, configured to output 3.3V.
2. An Arduino Uno is interfacing between the PC and the ESP01. TX pin is connected to Arduino's TX and RX pin to Arduino's RX.
3. GND pin is connected to the ground of both Arduino and the regulator.
4. GPIO2 is left disconnected; assuming all time that it has a pull-up and thus is always at HIGH.
5. GPIO0 is connected to ground. (This will later be removed to get out of the UART mode).
6. The RESET pin is disconnected.

With this setup I see:
Code: Select allets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(1,6)

With the latest version of the 8266 boards package on Arduino IDE I always get "Timed out waiting for packet header" errors; changing to version 2.5.0 avoids them and allows me to upload the code to the ESP01.

The blue LED of the ESP01 flashes for a while, until the Arduino output tells me it's 100% uploaded, the red LED then dims a lot and nothing happens from this point.

In order to test, I assume I need to move out from UART mode, so I disconnect the GPIO0 and reset the ESP01.
The serial terminal shows me this and my code doesn't seem to run:
Code: Select allksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v951aeffa
~ld

ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v951aeffa
~ld

Any ideas of what could be wrong? How can I rule out unstable voltage or not enough current? A lot of issues that I found online seem to be related to it.
By schufti
#88806 if you use ther arduino as usb/serial converter, don't, you are asking for trouble!!!
there are several cheap and small modules out there conserving your mental sanity.
If you insist: either remove the µC from the arduino or keep it in reset!