So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Jerry Zhao
#85754 Hi Everyone,
I've recently been getting into arduino projects and I've gotten an ESP8266-01s. However, with the mix of all the different pinouts on the internet, I've tried a few and I haven't been able to get any work from the wifi module (Uploading Sketches and AT Commands). When I try to upload a sketch the error ends in:
warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I have made an fritzing project representing my actual wiring: https://imgur.com/gallery/TL5Jloq
Additionally here is my wiring:
In case it's not apparent:
Arduino -> Esp8266
RX -> RX
TX -> TX
5v (through 3.3 voltage regulator) -> 3.3V and EN
GND -> GPIO0
GND -> GND
By icons
#85761 well one thing i can see is your logic level shifter is not connected properly, you need to power it with 3v and 5v, and ground... maybe you can google that.
Also there are two modes on the esp8266 1) for normal boot 2) for uploading programs- you need to put esp in program upload mode.
by the way in the photo is a esp8266 07, you said you have 01?
By rudy
#85768 GPIO0 needs to be connected to GND to upload a sketch. You also don't show any bypass capacitors. You may be able to get the sketch to upload but running it may be a problem. The ESP8266 uses a lot more current when the radio is used.

Since you used the work sketch I assume you are using Arduino. The first program you should try is the blink sketch.
By Jerry Zhao
icons wrote:well one thing i can see is your logic level shifter is not connected properly, you need to power it with 3v and 5v, and ground... maybe you can google that.
Also there are two modes on the esp8266 1) for normal boot 2) for uploading programs- you need to put esp in program upload mode.
by the way in the photo is a esp8266 07, you said you have 01?

Hi thanks for the help, yeah i have esp01, unfortunately I couldn't find that module on the fritzing project. I'll try your suggestions and see how it goes. Thanks!