So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By sblantipodi
Bonzo wrote:The diode is to prevent the charger "charging" the solar panel if there is a problem. It is also the wrong way around - the band is on the direction of current flow.

I have a greenhouse monitor which is similar: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19458 I have a LDO Linier regulator between the solar panel and charger. But it was my first project and I should have gone for a higher voltage output panel but I did not realise the panels went above 5V so put it in as a safety. Of course it does not work when the panel is only putting out 5v! I was going to buy a higher voltage panel but might be able to wok around it with a Mofset. I intend on revamping it this year when I get a home soldering setup.

what problem you have with that project? what solar panel are you using there?
isn't 5V enough to charge a 18650? I have bought 2x 88x142 panels, they should output 2W each.

I bought this panels,
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07ZNZ ... UTF8&psc=1
they have an USB connector so the voltage regulation should be done by that black box.

isn't this a good solution for the charging problem?
By Bonzo
#86230 I brought a plain 5V panel which when testing on a sunny day was outputting over 6V

The charger max input is 5V

I installed a LDO linear regulator to bring the solar power output own to 5v

The problem with the regulator is the input voltage has to be higher than the output voltage for it to work.

I can not remember the exact figures but I need something like 6V to get 5V out of the regulator

As you say with your panel it should be sorted out in the black box. Your panel is probably rated at more than 6V and the box brings it down to 5V. If you put a meter across the two solder pads on your panel you might see what it is outputting.
By sblantipodi
Bonzo wrote:I brought a plain 5V panel which when testing on a sunny day was outputting over 6V

The charger max input is 5V

I installed a LDO linear regulator to bring the solar power output own to 5v

The problem with the regulator is the input voltage has to be higher than the output voltage for it to work.

I can not remember the exact figures but I need something like 6V to get 5V out of the regulator

As you say with your panel it should be sorted out in the black box. Your panel is probably rated at more than 6V and the box brings it down to 5V. If you put a meter across the two solder pads on your panel you might see what it is outputting.

on the internet I see that someone compaints about the fact that the TP4056 isn't able to safely charge a 18650 while the load is connected to it.
is this true? is this a problem of the old TP4056 module that has only one output?
now the new TP4056 have an output for the battery and one output for the load.

is it safe to use that module for both the load and the battery charge at the same time?