Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By gregg1701
#87074 Hello!
I have here a bundle of the original ESP8266 devices, such as https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13678 . This is the original ESP8266 by the way.

There was discussion a while ago about what we could do with these, and now I am working on the particulars for one of them to work as a WiFi to Serial adapter. That is it would receive a signal from another one, such as the
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15031 which is a "SparkFun WiFi IR Blaster (ESP8266)" in this case that would get a poke from a remote, such as pressing a button number, and the regular ESP8266 device at the other end promptly sends to the logic connected to it, would then display the number chosen. Remember this is just a suggestion. If all of you are inclined to believe it won't work that way then okay I'll put it aside.
By lotus49
#87129 Yes it is although it’s not strictly true that this is “the original ESP8266”. The ESP8266 is the actual microcontroller on this board which is called the ESP-01 and the one you picture is the second iteration of the ESP-01 that has 1MB flash rather than the 512KB that they original blue ESP-01 had.

Google “ESP-01 AT firmware” and you’ll find what you are looking for. I would be very surprised if this approach actually is the best way to approach this though as the AT firmware is pretty limiting and the ESP8266 can do a lot more than just convert a serial signal to wifi but that is possible if that’s what you really want.
By gregg1701
#87266 Hello!
I will grok that the both of you are indeed correct, from a certain point of view. But the bigger issue for me is that the ESP8266 found itself to be used to communicate with the BASIC Stamp devices from Parallax. And for myself to go down that path, would be, ah, expensive. I wanted to follow steps that were not so expensive.

And I've studied the commands that the system uses, suffice to say they remind me of the famous Hayes Modem command set, aside from the ones create for the WiFi functions to work.