Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Herrero
#87371 I have strange problem with the wifi connection. I have decided to ask you for help because it happens second time. Last time after few day of fighting I threw it in the bin (it was Nodemcu V3 Lolin with metal shield on chip). Now it is nodeM from robotdyn. Generally the module worked fine (it was able to connect to wifi etc.). After the next programming the module is unable to connect to my router. I was trying:
- erase whole flash via esptool (erase_flash),
- flash with last "esp_init_data_default_v08.bin" from SDK via esptool
- WiFi.disconnect() etc.

Each time looks that everythink is ok (no errors during flashing), but my module is not able to connect to any AP. If I run soft AP I'm not able to connect to it (I see SSID).

If I run basic example from wifimanager, the output is:

Code: Select all*WM: [1] No Credentials are Saved, skipping connect
*WM: [2] Starting Config Portal
*WM: [3] WIFI station disconnect
*WM: [3] WiFi station enable
*WM: [2] Disabling STA
*WM: [2] Enabling AP
*WM: [1] StartAP with SSID:  AutoConnectAP
*WM: [2] AP has anonymous access!
*WM: [1] SoftAP Configuration
*WM: [1] --------------------
*WM: [1] ssid:             AutoConnectAP
*WM: [1] password:         
*WM: [1] ssid_len:         13
*WM: [1] channel:          1
*WM: [1] authmode:       
*WM: [1] ssid_hidden:     
*WM: [1] max_connection:   4
*WM: [1] country:          CN
*WM: [1] beacon_interval:  100(ms)
*WM: [1] --------------------
*WM: [1] AP IP address: 192.168.4.1
*WM: [3] setupConfigPortal
*WM: [1] Starting Web Portal
*WM: [3] dns server started with ip:  192.168.4.1
*WM: [2] HTTP server started
*WM: [2] WiFi Scan completed in 2182 ms
*WM: [2] Config Portal Running, blocking, waiting for clients...

I have question: should be the coutry code set to CN? I have change it to US, bo no difference. After restart again is CN.

I was also trying (at the beginning) wifi scan example, the output is:

Code: Select allscan start
scan done
1 networks found
1: ESP_CC23F1 (-68)

scan start
scan done
no networks found

Why the module is finding only one network? At my place there is a lot of wifi networks. Is that a coincidence that every time is finding espressif network (different working nodemcu)?

How to recover the module?
By davydnorris
#92818 One thing to double check - the ESP8266 is a 2.4G only Wifi, so it will not find any networks that are 5G. Make sure you check your list of Wifi networks and filter out the 5G ones when you are trying to see if the list from the wifi scan on the ESP matches what you see through your phone etc.

It can also be useful to make sure your 5G and 2.4G networks have different SSIDs so that you can make sure you find the right one.