Advanced Users can post their questions and comments here for the not so Newbie crowd.

Moderator: eriksl

By eriksl
rudy wrote:
eriksl wrote:I guess not many people tend to program "real" microprocessors these days, like attiny with 256 bytes RAM ;)

256 bytes of ram :o the luxury. I recently have been using the ATTINY102 with only 32 bytes of ram.

I know these. I think they're only suitable to replace some logic components like nand/nor gates etc ;)
By Pablo2048
eriksl wrote:
so there is just 1 malloc in my application

I you do a single malloc, you could just as well replace it by a single static char[] declaration ;)

Yes, but with variable size, because the whole size of runtime RAM requirement is not known in compile time :-) ...
By eriksl
#88597 Ah ok, I see.

BTW I just "found out" (ok, I could have known) that if you start the access point mode instead of station mode, you will lose another 4k :o. So if you have an optional AP mode (like me) you need to take this 4k in account too.
By davydnorris
eriksl wrote:Ah ok, I see.

BTW I just "found out" (ok, I could have known) that if you start the access point mode instead of station mode, you will lose another 4k :o. So if you have an optional AP mode (like me) you need to take this 4k in account too.

The way I have handled that is to split my system into two completely separate boot areas. I use AP mode during set up and configuration only, so I have the whole set up system as one partition, and the normal run time as a second (and OTA as third using rboot). I then reboot into the different partitions as needed.

That works for how I use the AP mode, but probably won't for everybody