Advanced Users can post their questions and comments here for the not so Newbie crowd.

Moderator: eriksl

By eriksl
#89279 Interesting. Totally agree on the LDO stuff.

I don't completely agree with the statement that using a buck/boost will only extend the battery life by a few hours. Using a coin cell that may be the case, but I will be using (preferrably) rechargable AAA batteries and my experience is that their voltage starts to drop very quickly, even if they still have lots of charge inside. So that's why I will be using a boost converter (boost only). I'll have to take care that voltage never excees 3.6 V and I believe using two AAAs that condition is met (as the boost converter can only increase voltage). If that appears a problem after all, I can try to connect both (or maybe three or four) batteries in parallel.

If I can't use rechargables after all, I could always opt for completely drowning normal batteries that have their voltage dropped too far for other uses. I've found out many appliances stop working even if there is lots of charge left, simply because the voltage drops. Some of them don't even work on rechargable batteries, for that reason. So I always have leftover batteries I can't use for anything else.
By davydnorris
#89282 What I found with the buck/boost was that once it went into boost mode, current draw increased quite sharply and only got worse.

I used a 3.3V converter, and found that when they were at about 3.0V unloaded, I was seeing up to 200mA current draw, which pulled the voltage even lower. By the time the battery gave out, I was seeing over 500mA when loaded
By eriksl
#89287 On what cells? Coin cell, AA, AAA or other?

BTW I am not using a boost+buck converter, I only need boost. Using two converters will double the loss, which may be 2% to 20% depending on the load, voltage and type.
By davydnorris
#89292 This was actually on a bench supply, after my sensor's current measurements alerted me that something was weird. Sensors were running on various supplies - a solar powered Lion rechargeable, a LiPO, and on 3 x D cells

The unit I use is a Renesas ISL91107IR - single component buck/boost. Nice little unit
https://www.renesas.com/kr/en/www/doc/datasheet/isl91107ir.pdf