Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By davydnorris
jcmvbkbc wrote:
eriksl wrote:Do you know or expect if for gcc11 additional patching will be required in CT-ng? For gcc10 it seems to work without any patching.

There's no need for xtensa-specific patches to the compiler or binutils, but you'd still need to apply an overlay.
I've tried to rework overlay application here, but haven't completed it as there were some change requests IIRC. I believe that that's a better way than including an overlay into the ct-ng.

I was just commenting to erik in the other thread that when I revved your repo for later versions of gcc I had to adjust the local-patches content so that it was applied to gcc and newlib. Are you saying that's no longer required?

That would be great news!

I also see that the espressif fork of your repo is set to use newlib 3.0 - do you know if that's just a simple config change or have they done some espressif/xtensa specific patching on newlib? They seem to be pulling their own repo of newlib so it makes me wonder...
By eriksl
#91280 About newlib, interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if they've only done it for esp32. Also, the question is, is it worth the effort? Honestly I don't have complains about newlib, it's just that it tends to reserve a block of DRAM for, apparently, reentrant functions. I don't think I will need that, but I can't turn it off. I managed to shrink it somewhat though, with a specific build option.
By davydnorris
#91287 This is the interesting thing - looking in their config for esp8266 it's pulling newlib from the espressif repo but the repo is labelled as if it's esp32.

Once I get a moment to breathe I'll pull their stuff and dig through it to see if it's both 8266 and 32
By eriksl
davydnorris wrote:I also see that the espressif fork of your repo is set to use newlib 3.0 - do you know if that's just a simple config change or have they done some espressif/xtensa specific patching on newlib? They seem to be pulling their own repo of newlib so it makes me wonder...

BTW I am not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate? I did nothing with the Espressif fork, it's based on the repo from Max.