The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

Which option would you choose?

N/A
N/A
N/A
100%
By RTF
#91561 Background: Have been working with Arduino for about a year and have a few projects successfully running. Switching over to ESP8266 and would appreciate some guidance on internet protocols. I already have some solid code which involves a few temperature sensors and relays. Have slowly been working this code onto my Wemos D1 R2 and have sorted most of the compatibility issues and bugs. Have also got the wifi connection going and set up a simple Server from which I can see the sensor data and relay states on the LAN.

Requirements: Would like to make this sensor data and some buttons for the relays available on the internet, but I am unsure on which 'protocol' route to go as a newbie. There has to be some amount of security on the connection because the project is for a business.

Conundrum: Have already researched a lot on these options: Simple Web Server, WebSocket, Blynk and MQTT (which I know least about). I am sure I will get to fully learn and use all these at some point, but would prefer a simpler option initially to get this project off the ground. I am sure each has their advantages and disadvantages, but I have been unable to find a web-page with a comparison for a new developer like myself. So any comments and experience would be most welcome.
By davydnorris
#91568 For two way secure communication, MQTT is an industry standard and is interoperable.

Might be a little more to learn but it's worth the trouble