So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By dapeake
#91884 Question: Which radio protocol wakes up and gets to work the fastest? WiFi, BLE, Bluetooth?

Project:
Two radio-linked devices: Device A is a tiny hand-held cube with a single user knob which sleeps for months on a Coin-Cell. Device B, always on, powered by a wall adapter, drives a stepper motor that matches Device A's knob rotation angle.

Requirement 1: Device A while in deep sleep -- user twists knob, <30ms later the stepper moves on Device B.

Requirement 2 : With Device A awake and in use, User will rotate the knob wildly, which Device B's stepper must track with latency <20ms.

Assuming my other hardware and software designs are best practice, which radio protocol offers the best fit for my real-time critical application?

Thank Everyone!

Dan
Campbell
By QuickFix
#91903 My guess is Bluetooth (in either normal as BLE form), but the ESP8266 is 2.4GHz Wifi only and I've got so-so experiences with Bluetooth support on the ESP32 (for one Bluetooth and WiFi can't be used at the same time and there are controllers that are better at BT), that I never use it.
By dapeake
#91905 Thanks for the reply. It looks like I may need to do some testing with each. My Alternative is NRF modules, but I'd like my users to be able to adjust parameters using their smart phones - I can't imagine the FCC cost for a system that uses NRF on one end and Bloutooth/wifi on the other end.

Thanks,

Dan