Chat freely about anything...

By williamhenrick
#91963 Hi,

I am a student and I have to select a project for my college course. It has to be related to IoT technology, I am new to this field, have searched online and found these modules.

I have worked on Arduino simple programming but haven't worked on WiFi or cloud computing.

Rite now, I am here to get some suggestions about these two boards, whether I should select ESP8266 based module or should I go with Raspberry Pi 4?

Thanks.
By Sajith-Karunatilake
#92761 Raspberry Pi 4 is a computer that can be used with a GUI or a CLI. If you wanna start working on a simple IoT project, you can use ESP8266 boards to do some tasks (Example: Collect Weather Data, Control a Light Bulb) and use a Raspberry Pi to control all ESP8266 boards.

Let's say you wanna build a Home Security System. You can use ESP8266 to read from motion sensors, smoke detectors, etc. Then you can host a web server and a database on your Raspberry Pi 4 and collect those data from ESP8266 and show them on a web page.

There are a ton of open source ESP8266 IoT projects out there. Do a quick YouTube search "ESP8266 IoT Projects" to get a rough idea for a project.

Good Luck!