Chat freely about anything...

By neveregret
#92354 Hello everyone, I am using raspberry pi pico with esp8266. When i connect Esp8266 's vcc and ch pd - pins to raspberry pi pico 3.3v it's not working but when i connect raspberry pi pico's 5v to esp8266's vcc and ch pd- it is working.I am afraid to fry it so any advice for connection or Is it okay ? Thank you.
By btidey
#92367 You do not say what ESP8266 module you are using. If it is a raw one like ESP-01 or ESP12F then dDefinitely do not run the ESP8266 module from a 5V power source, That is way outside its spec and will likely damage it over time.

Using the 3.3V source from the Pico in principle should work with this type of module but there are a number of reasons why it may not.

The ESP8266 requires a stable 3.3V with a current capability of 500mA. Although the average current is much less (80mA) there are short spikes of current demand.

If the 3.3V source from the pico has a soft slow start then it could be that it is not triggering the reset on the esp8266. You could test for this by only connecting the esp8266 after the Pico has powered up.
By neveregret
btidey wrote:You do not say what ESP8266 module you are using. If it is a raw one like ESP-01 or ESP12F then dDefinitely do not run the ESP8266 module from a 5V power source, That is way outside its spec and will likely damage it over time.

Using the 3.3V source from the Pico in principle should work with this type of module but there are a number of reasons why it may not.

The ESP8266 requires a stable 3.3V with a current capability of 500mA. Although the average current is much less (80mA) there are short spikes of current demand.

If the 3.3V source from the pico has a soft slow start then it could be that it is not triggering the reset on the esp01. You could test for this by only connecting the esp01 after the Pico has powered up.

I am using Esp01 i am not a familiar with it . Actually sometimes Esp01 running with raspberry pi pico's 3.3V but when i cut the power and turning back on Esp01 is not working (Blue led is not blinking when i get response blue led is always blinking so i guess blue led's blink means i have internet.) . When i tried to measure voltages and current raspberry pi pico's 3.3V giving 90ma if i am correct. Pico's IO pins fixed with 3.3V so RX pin don't need any resistor. I connected esp01 to 5V with 210 ma i guess , Esp01 working good. What i understand in your text, I need power supply but i couldn't find a good one because i resource esp01 needs 3.3V and 170ma . Can u suggest me regulator or should i keep using Pico's 5v ? Thank you