So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rudy
#92577 I have been using udp for many years to turn on and off lights in my home. It had been very reliable. Then after a power failure the communications was really bad. I have an ESP8266 in a handheld enclosure.

Position to the router made little difference. It was so frustrating. I changed the routine to send out three packets for each send. Just marginally better.

Then I changed the channel that my router was on. It was on 6 and I changed it to 1. Then everything was perfect again.
By btidey
#92578 Yes. I find it useful to check on the wifi environment with Wifi Analyzer app on a phone and use that to choose a channel with least competition. This applies even if using a reliable tcp protocol as conflict can slow that down without knowing about packet loss.

Routers can offer automatic channel selection but I prefer to see what is going on.
By QuickFix
rudy wrote:Then I changed the channel that my router was on. It was on 6 and I changed it to 1. Then everything was perfect again.

Hehe, totally forgot about that one, but you're right; now lets hope this fixes it for those that are in need. ;)