So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By TheTinker
#92694 Hi everyone,
I am new to the esp8266 but have played with pic's and tiny85's before. Looking at replacing some Raspberry Pi's pushing data to influxdb with some WeMos D1 MINI PRO clone's but cannot compile and upload any sketch's. I keep getting a python option error. I can conform that the error "-I" is not an option after doing a man on python. It looks like the correct option is "-i" so lowercase not uppercase. I even get the error on a blank sketch. Has anyone come across this before as it only happens with the esp8266 boards.
I have installed the latest library for the ESP8266 from:
https://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/pack ... index.json
Below is the last lines showing the error:

===================

Compiling sketch...
/home/wayne/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/tools/python3/3.7.2-post1/python3 -I /home/wayne/.arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.2/tools/signing.py --mode header --publickey /tmp/untitled862541517.tmp/sketch_oct23a/public.key --out /tmp/arduino_build_652420/core/Updater_Signing.h
Unknown option: -I
usage: python3 [option] ... [-c cmd | -m mod | file | -] [arg] ...
Try `python -h' for more information.
exit status 2
/home/wayne/Downloads/Arduino/arduino-1.8.16/arduino-builder returned 2
Error compiling for board LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 mini Pro.

==========================

Thanks
By TheTinker
#92725 Hi Everyone, A little more information,
Everything works and I have uploaded a test sketch (web server connected to one of my AP's) using ESP8266 Community version 2.7.4
If I use ESP8266 Community version's 3.0.0 or 3.0.1 I get a python error that the module pathlib cannot be found.
If I use ESP8266 Community version's 3.0.2 I get the python option error regarding the "I" and "i" option.
My default for python is 2.7. I am using an older Linux system "Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)".
I use alternatives python to switch to python 3 when needed but have not had time (as looking for another Linux system admin job, I was just made redundant) to test to see if setting to python 3 will fix the errors with 3.0.0 & 3.0.1. YUM required python 2.7 and fails with python 3 so I leave it set to python 2.7 most of the time.
I plan to test this later this week.
Cheers