Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By xytsrm
#92950 I've been using the ESP-01S boards for some experimentation programming in microPython. Recently got around to playing with the uPy "machine.deepsleep()". Using a hardware test jig that supports the ESP-01S, ESP-07, ESP-12E, 12F, & 12S boards. The test jig has a RESET & FLASH buttons. Programming is accomplished using the Thonny IDE, which is specific to microPython.

If the target ESP-01S is in deep-sleep, pressing the RESET wakes it and boot.py is executed. However, I've read several articles that refer to connecting a wire from the RST pin on the ESP-01S to the GPIO16 pin (physical chip pin 8, labeled XPD_DCDC) being necessary to wake from deep-sleep. As I have not found that to be necessary, is there any reason, or difference in return from deep-sleep to be gained by wiring the RST to GPIO16?

UPDATE: Shortly after making this post I discovered that the GPIO16 is not an input, it's configured as an output for the Real-Time-Clock. By connecting GPIO16 to the RESET the RTC can wake the ESP8266. None of the articles I read that mentioned connecting the two together made it clear that it was in lieu of manual activation.
I immediately replied to my own post, but for some reason this forum doesn't allow real-time responses; they take up to two days for approval.
Last edited by xytsrm on Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By xytsrm
#92960 I've got the answer; which was not at all made clear in any articles that mentioned connecting the RESET to the GPIO16.

GPIO16 is not an input, it's configured as an output for the Real-Time clock which can be used as an alternative means to wake the ESP8266 from deep-sleep.