Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By thorium90
#93444 Howdy,
I'm moving a project from an Arduino Nano to an ESP8266-E12 Node MCU. The code on the Nano works fine but when I try and upload it to the ESP I get this error. Does anyone know what it means or how to decode it? I search around and there were a few google results that have similar errors but none of their solutions worked for me. From what I can tell it has something to do with a watchdog timer. Thanks in advance!

ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,6)

wdt reset
load 0x4010f000, len 3460, room 16
tail 4
chksum 0xcc
load 0x3fff20b8, len 40, room 4
tail 4
chksum 0xc9
csum 0xc9
v00044280
~ld
By btidey
#93480 ESP8266 has a hardware watchdog which will trigger if anything in your code blocks the watchdog getting serviced regularly. In Arduino sketches this happens every time the loop cycles. So if you have anything in your sketch that can cause the loop to take more than a few seconds (e.g. a long delay) then that will cause the watchdog to fire and trigger this behaviour.

It is possible to make calls in your code to service the watchdog but it is better to structure your code so that the loop does not get blocked for any significant time.

For any more detailed help you need to show what is in the sketch.