Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By Dreiber
#93544 I realize that this topic has been posted before on different forums, but I still can't get it to work.
I'm running Windows 11 and Arduino 1.8.20. I am trying to program a Lolin D1 Mini version 3.1.0. When I plug it into the usb port it is recognized by windows and shows up as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM10). So I chose this port, and chose the boards as LOLIN(WEMOS) D1 R2 & Mini. When I program it, I get this...

esptool.py v3.0
Serial port COM10
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____.....____Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\dreib\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.2/tools/upload.py", line 66, in <module>
esptool.main(cmdline)
File "C:/Users/dreib/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 3552, in main
esp.connect(args.before, args.connect_attempts)
File "C:/Users/dreib/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.2/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 529, in connect
raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I've tried lowering the baud rate, changing the com port, backdating the CH340 driver, changing USB cables, updating the Arduino IDE to the latest release, and pulling up and down D3 (GPIO0) on the board. I also tried this on my Macbook and I get the same end result. Maybe the D1 is bricked, but it is new and is recognized as a USB device by both Windows and OS X.

Any advice would be appreciated.
By QuickFix
#93557 Before going into this, first see if there's any communication possible between the ESP and your PC:
  • In the Arduino IDE, first make sure the COM-port of your development board is selected (step 1)
    Setup.png
  • Then, open the serial monitor (step 2)
  • In the monitor window, set the Baud rate to "74880 baud" (step 3)
    Monitor.png
  • Now, press the RESET-button on your board and you *should* see a message like shown in the picture above
Tell us your progression. :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.