Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By kinlougha
#93955 Hello comunity,
I'm new on this forum and i look for a solution to my problem:
Recently i purchase, on eBay, 3 Wemos D1 MiniPro Chinese clone that i'm unable to program.
I make many research on the web, try all the propose solution but nothing work.
My environment is:
Windows 11, Arduino IDE 1.8.19.
also
Linux Mint 20.3, Arduino IDE 1.8.19

If i check for the board info:

BN: Carte inconnue
VID: 10C4
PID: EA60
SN: Envoyez un croquis pour l'obtenir

but if i try to upload a blank sketch :

esptool.py v3.0
Serial port COM5
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\Ilovit_ST238\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\3.0.1/tools/upload.py", line 66, in <module>
esptool.main(cmdline)
File "C:/Users/Ilovit_ST238/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.1/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 3552, in main
esp.connect(args.before, args.connect_attempts)
File "C:/Users/Ilovit_ST238/AppData/Local/Arduino15/packages/esp8266/hardware/esp8266/3.0.1/tools/esptool\esptool.py", line 529, in connect
raise FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error))
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I have the same result on all module, i try all the esp8266 board version in IDE (from 2.0.0 to 3.0.2) on windows and linux, try all the baud rate to upload.

Windows and linux see the com port, the CP2104 seems to not communicate with the ESP8266ex.

Does somebody know what is wrong with this module.

Thanks, Alain.
By Inq720
#93960 There are a number of things that can cause that issue. But that you tried it on a Linux box. It usually gets this right the first time. Windows... not so much! ;)

It sounds like you might not have a driver installed. Check your Windows Device Manager when you have a WeMos connected to a port. You should see.
Untitled.png

If it says, "USB2.0-Serial", you need to install the CH340 driver.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By kinlougha
#93963 This is not a driver problem, i have another Wemos D1 MiniPro (genuine) with th same CP2104 serial chip that work.
I thing it's a hardware problem like bad choice of part on the board or a design flaw, don't forget it's a chinese clone.
By kinlougha
#93967 Hello Inq720,

The serial chip on the MiniPro was CP2104, not CH340.
You can see that the serial chip respond to the inquiry from the IDE

BN: Carte inconnue
VID: 10C4
PID: EA60
SN: Envoyez un croquis pour l'obtenir

It's not a driver problem.
It's something else between the serial chip and the ESP.

Can i be able to bypass the serial chip to upload some firmware on the ESP8266.