So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By ellindsey
#94582 I'm looking to build a custom heater and air conditioner controller for our condo, ideally using parts that I already on hand. I originally wanted to use a Raspberry Pi Zero W for this project, but those are unreasonably expensive at the moment. When looking through my parts bin, I came across an Adafruit Feather Huzzah ESP8266 board that I picked up a few years ago and then never got around to using, and wondered if that might do the job instead.

I'm not sure if the hardware has the capabilities for everything I need, and am hoping some of you here with more experience can give me some advice.

I need it to be able to talk to a DHT11 temperature and humidity sensor, which is done though a single-wire serial connection. This should be easy, there are Arduino libraries for it.

I would like to be able to talk to a graphical touchscreen display. It won't be showing complicated graphics, just a temperature display and some buttons for control and programming. Failing that, I could always fall back on a conventional 4x20 LCD screen and physical buttons, but I'd really like to be able to do the graphical touchscreen.

It needs to be able to save temperature settings and schedules internally. Does the ESP8266 have any capability to do that, or am I going to have to add a serial EEPROM for that function?

It also needs to be able to connect to the home WIFI to get the time and date and possibly for remote programming, but that should be easy, it's what the ESP8266 is for.
By Luc Volders
#94623 The ESP8266 can do this.
DHT11 drivers are available and easy to use.
The ESP has a lot of memory so you can store data on it, check the spiff library for that.

The graphical display can also be done but would take a lot of work.

Why not make a webserver from the ESP8266 and control everything from your phone, pc or tablet.
That is easier to do and uses less memory and resources from the ESP.
With MIT's App Inventor you can easily build your own apps that can communicate with the ESP. And otherwise there is always Javascript to build a nice looking webpage with switches, buttons, sliders and charts......

I personally am not in favor of Blynk anymore. They dropped the free service and it is now a paid service. Or at most a very limited free service.
Luc