So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By reymat
#95061 Hello
I am a beginner in micropython programming on the ESP8266 microcontroller.
For writing the program I use Thonny IDE
When I run my program from Thonny the microcontroller works fine. When I close the IDE, the microcontroller continues to work normally. However, when I unplug the USB from the PC and plug it back in. Or when I power the microcontroller on an external source, it doesn't work anymore, even if I do a RST.
I have searched on WEB but I can't find a solution to this problem. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.
By reymat
#95072 Hi,

Thank you for your reply, but my card is working fine.
I reinstalled the Expressif firmware and made a small program with Arduino IDE. The board works alone on an external source.
I reinstalled the micropython firmware and now the program works only with the IDE and not on an external source. I don't understand.
By Wim7
#95239 Hi,

I think it is has to do with the levels of pins FLASH and RESET:
GPIO0 pullup /FLASH DTR-usb
/RESET pullup /RST RTS-usb
"Putting Device Into Flash Mode
To enable ESP8266 firmware flashing GPIO0 pin must be pulled low before the device is reset.
Conversely, for a normal boot, GPIO0 must be pulled high or floating.
" and /RST pin high.

The IDE configures these pins via the FTDI-chip. Before any upload or opened terminal, the ESP8266 does not start; FTDI not yet configured.

When I want to look at the USB output by using Putty iso the IDEterminal, I can't get the static RTS DTR levels correct; the ESP8266 does not start; /RTS level not ok.

When I use a powerbank, the ESP starts.

Succes.