Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By btidey
#95776 I have many projects running off single cell lithium batteries (from 450maH(802030)- 2500maH (18650) with no problem. You just have to use an appropriate regulator as previously described and preferably supplemented by a reservoir capacitor near to the module.

Button cells normally have quite a high esr so would need to have a sizeable reservoir capacitor to handle the pulse current requirements. Typically these would be used in apps where the module is in deep sleep most of the time with a wake up / reporting active cycle lasting 1 or 2 seconds. If the reservoir can deal with this then the overall battery requirement is just to top up the reservoir during the sleep periods.
By aphlox
btidey wrote:I have many projects running off single cell lithium batteries (from 450maH(802030)- 2500maH (18650) with no problem. You just have to use an appropriate regulator as previously described and preferably supplemented by a reservoir capacitor near to the module.

Button cells normally have quite a high esr so would need to have a sizeable reservoir capacitor to handle the pulse current requirements. Typically these would be used in apps where the module is in deep sleep most of the time with a wake up / reporting active cycle lasting 1 or 2 seconds. If the reservoir can deal with this then the overall battery requirement is just to top up the reservoir during the sleep periods.

I am not so familiar with all the regulators available could you please give an example of which capacitor do you use or which can be used for a single battery usage. Also is 1000uF 10V big enough or should I use another?
By btidey
#95799 I use the XC6203E332 for the regulator. You can find them on ebay or aliexpress
The E in the name means this variant does not have a current limiter built in which I prefer to avoid in case it gets in the way of providing the pulses of current needed by the ESP8266

I use 220uF 6.3v tantalum capacitors for the reservoir.

Again search on ebay or aliexpress for tantalum capacitor 220uF 6.3V