Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By starkeeper
#2090 Has someone tested the slave mode for now? I am interested in using the ESP8266 as wifi adapter via SDIO on another microcontroller. In my opinion there are at least two things required for this to work:
1. The ESP8266 must be set into some kind of slave mode that communicates via SDIO with a host microcontroller. I think this must be done with a a extra piece of software that must be loaded into the ESP8622. It would be great if this piece of software could be loaded into the ESP8266 also via SDIO.
2. The host microcontroller requires a framework or API to send correct commands and data via SDIO to the wifi adapter.

Is anything of this available yet or would I have to begin at zero?
By bjpirt
#2144 I'm also quite keen to get this chip working as an SPI slave - I've been going through the docs for the chip but they seem pretty woefully under-detailed to me. I'm used to datasheets from people like TI or Atmel that are a good 500 pages long :-) Is there a detailed one I'm missing?

Or can anyone point me to a resource which would help me understand:
- if it can actually be used as an SPI slave
- how to receive SPI data and respond
- which pins should be used

Any help massively appreciated!
Ben