Using the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266 and found bugs, report them here

Moderator: igrr

By Joe Job
rudy wrote:I don't have time to read all the new posts here, for that I apologize. But I will make the assumption that you are trying to program the devices in the breadboard in your picture. If that is the case the problem as I see it that setup. The problem looks to be your bad connection practices. Let me state this plainly The ESP12F does is designed to work with a supply of 3.3 volts. And you title for the thread is completely wrong. If you were to change that to "my crappy ESP12F setup needs 5v and not 3.3" then I would not have an issue and it would be your opinion about your situation and not a blanket statement about the ESP12F.

If you feel it is an issue with the setup I would be happy to know what it is that is crappy. This replicates on perf board circuit as well it is not related to the bread board, I have now provided detailed information including schematics of the current set up I am working with.

rudy wrote:The problem looks to be your bad connection practices.

Not very helpful, again point exactly what you feel is bad connection practises.

Feel free to show me the bad connection practises with the following, it is not hard to solder a piece of wire to a pin and connect to either ground or VCC.

GND -> ground ( Wire soldered from pin )
VCC -> 3.3v / 5v also has a 100uf cap (Wire soldered from pin)
CH_PD -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)
GPIO15 -> GND (10K soldered from pin)
GPIO2 -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)
RST -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)
Last edited by Joe Job on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By DAFlippers
#59426 Hi Adam,

I cannot believe the number posts you have made on this thread and various edits of each post. Please think things through before you post.

I agree with Rudy, the ESP12F should be powered with 3.3v as far as I know and if you power it with a higher voltage you are very likely to damage the device.

The schematic was not complete (I now realise I needed ESP (pardon the pun) to work out you meant a module based on AMS1117 and not just an AMS1117) and was only the non working version.

If you really believe there is a problem then please post clear, full, checked and correct schematics for working and non working versions. I suspect that there may be a disconnect between what you think is happening and real world events.

David
By Joe Job
DAFlippers wrote:Hi Adam,

I cannot believe the number posts you have made on this thread and various edits of each post. Please think things through before you post.

I agree with Rudy, the ESP12F should be powered with 3.3v as far as I know and if you power it with a higher voltage you are very likely to damage the device.

The schematic was not complete (I now realise I needed ESP (pardon the pun) to work out you meant a module based on AMS1117 and not just an AMS1117) and was only the non working version.

If you really believe there is a problem then please post clear, full, checked and correct schematics for working and non working versions. I suspect that there may be a disconnect between what you think is happening and real world events.

David

I feel I have given more than enough information on what works and what does not work. I fail to see anymore information that could be given. With 3.3v nothing works, with 5v it does.

DAFlippers wrote:I cannot believe the number posts you have made on this thread and various edits of each post. Please think things through before you post.

Is it really an issue?

DAFlippers wrote:The schematic was not complete (I now realise I needed ESP (pardon the pun) to work out you meant a module based on AMS1117 and not just an AMS1117) and was only the non working version.

Yep I agree it was an important bit of info I missed out, has been updated now.

DAFlippers wrote:I agree with Rudy, the ESP12F should be powered with 3.3v as far as I know and if you power it with a higher voltage you are very likely to damage the device.

Has been running for 3 days nearly at 5v well 2 and and 3/4 maybe.
Last edited by Joe Job on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Joe Job
#59428 So as requested I will post again in one place all of the relevant info:

GND -> ground ( Wire soldered from pin to GND)
VCC -> 3.3v / 5v also has a 100uf cap between it and GND (Wire soldered from pin to VCC)
CH_PD -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)
GPIO15 -> GND (10K soldered from pin)
GPIO2 -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)
RST -> 3.3v / 5v (10K soldered from pin)

RX/TX -> TX/RX of programmer.
100uF cap on VCC / GND.
Regulator used is the following module: http://www.ebay.es/itm/AMS1117-800mA-AM ... 1858129034

Without the regulator and using a 5v input or the 5v input from the programmer, everything works correctly with no issues.

With the regulator using a 5v VIN or 3.3v from the programmer, nothing works, it crashes, HTTP_UPDATE will not work it does not actually write the new firmware, no connection is made to the broker. This code is currently functioning fine on an ESP01 using 5v VIN through the same regulator module. Voltage is 3.24 roughly whether using the programmer or the regulator.

Using 5v it has been running for three days without a single issue mentioned that I am getting with 3.3volt