So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By lucasromeiro
McChubby007 wrote:

I just found another topic that might solve the other part of the problem. My ESP restarts indefinitely if I connect the esp with the frequency already connected to the pin.

Look at this topic.
Interesting it.
Does adding this to the function name solve it?
That simple?

Which topic? Sorry, I don't understand.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9457
sorry!
By McChubby007
lucasromeiro wrote:
rudy wrote:My start with programming was punch cards high school, maybe Fortran? Can't remember. Then Pascal in college, I hated it. The microprocessor course was assembly language with the Z80. I ended up using the Z80 in the earlier microprocessor based products I designed. I used the Intel 8031/8051 along with early Microchip parts. All code was assembly language. I liked the clarity of the instruction set. I liked building my tool chest of routines. Then I got a job as a hardware designer and only did minor programming for test purposes.

Working at that low level certainly give a useful perspective. Its too bad that there isn't time for that anymore when teaching new people.

WOW!
How cool! I'm not from that time.
I started by learning Pascal and then C.
I never picked up a punched card.
You are very knowledgeable.

I bet rudy started work in the late 1970s or early 1980s when I did !! We used paper tape for loading the site computers (for controlling railway signalling), and when I went to work for air traffic control they had punched cards and multi-platter disk drums (size of washing machines!).
On the railway there was very early prototype bespoke electro-mechanical 'computing' from the 1960s which used rotary magnetic drums to store train info (predating disk drives), and whole walls which contained x/y wiring matrix with fist sized logic gates for setting the signalling logic. Train timetable info was programmed onto a roll of plastic sheet with holes punched in it like a Jacquard loom (automatic piano etc).

I think 1970s & 1980s were the golden age of computing (the emergence of electronics and programming) into a cohesive marriage designed by geniuses and artists. Later was the golden age of software, with the development of strategies and methodologies, higher level languages, it became a real science and was recognised as real engineering (note: the IEE refused to acknowledge software as engineering for a very long time).
Now we have electronics as cheap throwaway items and we all benefit from being able to design/develop microprocessor projects for very small amounts of money. Sadly though, mainstream software (programming) as a career has become like working down a coal mine : however, the niche work (like embedded) is still a great place to work and is real 'engineering'; you'd never find me working as a web programmer which I don't consider to be anywhere close to science, art or engineering; not even sure I have a word for it. I think maybe I would just call it dull, uninspiring and chaotic !
If I was starting out in a career I would do bioengineering that's the 21st century version of computing.
By McChubby007
lucasromeiro wrote:
McChubby007 wrote:

I just found another topic that might solve the other part of the problem. My ESP restarts indefinitely if I connect the esp with the frequency already connected to the pin.

Look at this topic.
Interesting it.
Does adding this to the function name solve it?
That simple?

Which topic? Sorry, I don't understand.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9457
sorry!

Yes! Yes! You MUST set the isr to be located in RAM. Otherwise it will go into flash and that's not good at all. I hadn't even thought to mention that, sorry.

In fact I tend to audit my code and set all critical functions to be RAM located. Be careful though as you'll run our of RAM with too many functions stored there.
By lucasromeiro
McChubby007 wrote:
Yes! Yes! You MUST set the isr to be located in RAM. Otherwise it will go into flash and that's not good at all. I hadn't even thought to mention that, sorry.

In fact I tend to audit my code and set all critical functions to be RAM located. Be careful though as you'll run our of RAM with too many functions stored there.

That solved my problem!
Can using the function in RAM cause any problems?
Can you tell me when to use RAM?
I did not even know it existed.
I do not know when to use it.