Discuss here different C compiler set ups, and compiling executables for the ESP8266

By gicho
gwizz wrote:
gicho wrote:so if somebody steals your garden light switch and dumps SPI flash on the ESP module, he will only get access to this separate network.

Ok, bear with me if I ask a slightly OT question - but would it be possible to load the passphrase into ram during startup and then overright the flash copy? (and still be able to use this copy to provide encrypted transport?) Then you can have a 'graceful' shutdown option, but otherwise, if bad guys/gals steal your thing, they inevitably take it out of wifi range and then powerdown, loosing the keys to the kingdom!!

I'm not just thinking about Wifi passwords here, but any certificates etc. that are loaded onto devices. Or are there any such security features in the chip itself?

Hm, this is a weird idea :) You could use the RTC RAM area to store the passphrase (either loaded from flash and deleted, or obtained in AP mode, or received from smartlink-like sequence). This way it will survive common "deepsleep" resets (like every 30seconds?).
But this will work only if the attacker is unaware of the idea. If he steals the device (with batteries inside) he could attack it over the JTAG interface. We don't have enough information if the RTC RAM area is accesible over JTAG, or if the JTAG could be disabled with some burn-once fuses.
Still, you have to manage the problem that the user would have to deal with power disconnect - for example, when he replaces the batteries. Maybe this can be solved if you "command" the module (httpd, mqtt, tcp command) to enter "battery replacement mode". This means that it will store the password back to the flash until next power on.
Seem complicate, isn't it?

Security aspects are important. I am not an expert there but I suspect that even without protection of the flash content it would be possible to organize a system where each node has own "client" certificate. I mean with proper system design. So when this module/cerificate is stolen the attacker will get access to a limited subset of the global services - only those that were allowed for the stolen module. And he had phisical access to steal the node that maybe he could do the same things without breaking the flash content?
This should not be a problem - if we look at home security system, there would be several nodes - one keyboard at the front door, and another one to "unlock" the door. Imagine that the "keyboard" is on the outside of the door and could be easily stolen. The unlock node is on the inside and one needs to unlock the door first to see it/access it.
So the thieve steals the keyboard device. Our goal is that he cannot make anything harmful. If he was stanging in front of the door, he could press all the buttons. If he steals this device and moved it to his apartment he could still press buttons and try to brute-force the system. If he analyzes the flash memory he could find out the public IoT broker that we were using in our system, e.g. iot.eclipse.org. So he can connect to this server. Having the security info from the module (WPA, mqtt password, SSL client certificate) he can build up a PC node that runs the brute force algorithm. So he can pass "trial" codes to the internal lock control node. So as long as the internal lock control node is well protected against brute-forcing (e.g. stop listening on third failed code, and ignore everything of 1 hour) we are safe. One could not press buttons more often that once in 300ms so any new code that comes in less that 300ms since the last one is classified as brute-force attempt and enters the one hour dead mode.
But there needs to be a way to "learn" new pin codes for new users. This might provide a backdoor - if the unlock node provides "add new user" service to be used from web front we need additional protection.
In order to have this working we have to be sure that this node is not allowed to access services outside of predefined range. Because in another system there might be another central access control server that received the key codes and in case of match sends "unlock" command to the unlock node. If the theive finds the address (mqtt topic) of unlock he could issue unlock command. So unlock command needs to be protected - it must be accepted only if posted by recognized publisher (node/certificate).
In general, this means that each node in your network needs to have own certificate so the central server (e.g. mqtt broker) is sure that it speaks to the real node (or a complete clone of it).
By gwizz
gicho wrote:If he steals the device (with batteries inside) he could attack it over the JTAG interface. We don't have enough information if the RTC RAM area is accessible over JTAG, or if the JTAG could be disabled with some burn-once fuses.

I think that you are right, it is almost impossible to defeat a really determined attacker who has physical access, but at least we can make it so that they need to steal the device and work on it for a few hours - perhaps we can do a keep alive ping every hour and if you miss two then alert to the possibility of compromise?

gicho wrote:Still, you have to manage the problem that the user would have to deal with power disconnect - for example, when he replaces the batteries. Maybe this can be solved if you "command" the module (httpd, mqtt, tcp command) to enter "battery replacement mode". This means that it will store the password back to the flash until next power on.

This is what I meant with graceful shutdown mode, exactly.

gicho wrote:Seem complicate, isn't it?.

Yes! It is isn't it! I'm not a security expert either but I know enough to know you have to chew over these things and then get lots of other people to try to come up with cunning ways to defeat it! And re-design, and re-test, again and again!

gicho wrote:Security aspects are important. I am not an expert there but I suspect that even without protection of the flash content it would be possible to organize a system where each node has own "client" certificate. I mean with proper system design.

I think you are correct, apart from a few key things (such as wifi password) mqtt for example could have different client certificates for each certificate. I like the working through of the situation with the door lock, and in this example, we could design a button inside the house and only this button enables the addition of a keyboard device. We would know if a keyboard had gone awol for a couple of hours, if this happens (battery dies unexpectedly for example) we could require a re-pairing (downloading of new certificate onto the keyboard device) before allowing it back onto the system.

EDIT - another random security related idea - can the operating power be reduced to a minimum so that you would need to be within a few cm of the device?
By gicho
EDIT - another random security related idea - can the operating power be reduced to a minimum so that you would need to be within a few cm of the device?

If you mean "transmit" power of the esp, there are several problems:
- we don't have API to reduce the transmit power - maybe espressif will expose this later, it would be useful to reduce the power consumption too
- in wireless world antenna means a lot - if you work with the PCB antenna on the module and your reduce the power so you barely connect to your AP in 10meter, that somebody with proper equipment will be able to listen and attack from 1km
By gwizz
gicho wrote:- we don't have API to reduce the transmit power - maybe espressif will expose this later, it would be useful to reduce the power consumption too

Ah, ok, thought that might be the case, bummer.

gicho wrote:- in wireless world antenna means a lot - if you work with the PCB antenna on the module and your reduce the power so you barely connect to your AP in 10meter, that somebody with proper equipment will be able to listen and attack from 1km

Well, if you can get it so that you can barely connect in 10cm, then perhaps you would need powerful equipment and need to be within 10m? This starts getting to be a useful restriction?