Post your best Lua script examples here

By TerryE
#13799 I am considering using the ESP8266 as an IoT platform for home automation. At ~$3 per device I will typically use a single device for a single function , and at most a couple: monitor some temperatures, control a blind or a switch, whatever. Lua seems to be an appropriate technology for doing this. I only came across the ESP 8266 three weeks ago, picked up the intro to Lua 2 weeks ago and posted my first topic on this site 10 days ago. However I have been dicking around with embed systems for over 30 years and spent a couple of years working on the PHP Zend engine and its caching technologies and before that on the OpenOffice.org Basic RTS.

As it happens, I've build a very similar framework to yours -- no upvalue dynamically loaded functions using an _index setmetatable binding, and which are able to be Garbage Collected (becuse I came across yours after I'd done my own). One difference is that I don't bother with HTTP but just use a raw stripped down TCP based RPC protocol with a server side command-line tool to do all of the work.

OK, the 20-odd K RAM on the current chipsets is a real problem with the nodeMCU Lua implementation: if you set LUAL_BUFFERSIZE to 1K then you get burnt by trying to manipulate long strings; if you set it to 4K then you have more wiggle room but run out of C stack if you glance sideways. But for my usecase (and because I've done a lot of old school embedded work) your (and my) general approach works fine and allow rapid embedded app development.

But I don't expect be able to get this generation of ESP8266 with this amount of RAM running a decent webserver, etc. If ESP bring out a new chip in 12 months time with 128K or 256K RAM then this might be different story, but I'll be using an RPi with a properly configured and secure OS and Apache service as my server to drive these devices. I might even switch to MQTT as my transport once this is stable, but our (shared) approach is really good for this type of embedded application. My embedded devices are largely stateless with any state being maintained on the server, so the SPIF write cycle lifetime isn't really an issue for me.

What I am trying to say is: don't do yourself down; for a whole class of applications, this is a good way to go.
By draco
dpwhittaker wrote:I'm currently considering using Lua on the ESP as a failed experiment, even with this optimization. Particularly for web servers

I more or less agree. Lua works nicely for small things, but for even a fairly simple webserver, it's just not cutting the mustard. The new ESP8266 Arduino port offers a nice, simple, fast, easy-to-use webserver as a library function that is vastly more memory efficient than a Lua webserver could hope to be.

There are some definite plusses to the Lua environment (the filesystem, for one!), but having to implement GET/POST argument parsing in Lua just takes so many resources that I was constantly frustrated, running out of heap. And even trying the flashmod to take some big chunks of the Lua out of RAM only goes so far, and also introduced noticeable delays as the functions were repeatedly streamed back into RAM from the flash.
By cal
draco wrote:
dpwhittaker wrote:I'm currently considering using Lua on the ESP as a failed experiment, even with this optimization. Particularly for web servers

I more or less agree. Lua works nicely for small things, but for even a fairly simple webserver, it's just not cutting the mustard. The new ESP8266 Arduino port offers a nice, simple, fast, easy-to-use webserver as a library function that is vastly more memory efficient than a Lua webserver could hope to be.

There are some definite plusses to the Lua environment (the filesystem, for one!), but having to implement GET/POST argument parsing in Lua just takes so many resources that I was constantly frustrated, running out of heap. And even trying the flashmod to take some big chunks of the Lua out of RAM only goes so far, and also introduced noticeable delays as the functions were repeatedly streamed back into RAM from the flash.

Moin,

I am not so far as to drop lua. The whole libraries mqtt, tmr, etc. of lua are written in C so ...
Why not provide the basic "CGI" stuff in C and do the fun and dynamic stuff in lua?
I find the callback design of nodemcu nice. Is the arduino webservice single/multi threaded or event based?

Carsten

Carsten
By BlueAnt
#16813 Hi,

I have been following and studying the FlashMod approach in detail for a few weeks now when I get time. To understand it I have spend time to figure out how the FlashMod.lua and LLBin.lua operates with the following conclusions:

1. flashmod.lua serializes all the myMod functions to table in flash, augments the table with a meta table.
2. LLbin.lua writes/reads byte coded functions to/from the flash memory.

My question is as follows: I see how the flashMod(<myMod>) function is used but I do not find the function, LLbin(fname), being used (called) to write and read the flashed functions to and from the flash memory.

How is the LLBin function at the bottom of the llBin.lua file used to load the flash_LLbin.lc file as a function and execute the passed fname ?

Regards
Nicol