The use of the ESP8266 in the world of IoT

By Luc Volders
#82577 The commercial Philips Hue lamps have a nice feature. If you approach your home (fablab, school, workplace fill in as you like......) the cental controller detects that and turns on the lights.

I always wondered how they did that and actually it is quite simple. You can use Ping for this. Most people have a smart phone which automatically connects to your router. If it does it will get an IP adress and you can Ping that.
So if the IP adress reacts (the smart phone is connected) the lampos will go on.
Simple and efficient.

I wrote the software in Arduino (C++) and in ESP Basic.
And there is an example that will switch leds on depending on the availability of the IP adresses.

Basic01.jpg

anyhome_bb.jpg

Find the source code in Arduino and Basic on my weblog:
http://lucstechblog.blogspot.com/2019/0 ... -home.html

Luc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Bonzo
#82580 That is interesting; now only if I had a mobile phone :shock:

I suppose I will have to get one soon as I will not be able to use my credit cards without. For people not in the EU there is a new security process to prevent fraud being introduced in 2019. When you use your card you have to request a onetime code or the bank automatically send you one to verify your purchase. They seem to have ignored the people who for one reason or another decide not to have a phone.

Shoppers will be asked for a special code when they use a debit or credit card to buy online under a major shake-up to be brought in next year to protect against fraudsters.
The extra level of security means you'll be asked by your bank to verify your identity before you can complete a purchase.
Typically, this will involve typing a unique security code into the retailer's web page after you have entered your card details and clicked 'complete purchase'.
This will be required in addition to the last three digits of the so-called CVV number on the back of your card.

Shoppers will be asked for a special code when they use a debit or credit card to buy online under a major shake-up to be brought in next year to protect against fraudsters.
The extra level of security means you'll be asked by your bank to verify your identity before you can complete a purchase.

Typically, this will involve typing a unique security code into the retailer's web page after you have entered your card details and clicked 'complete purchase'.
This will be required in addition to the last three digits of the so-called CVV number on the back of your card.

However, some transactions will not require a verification code thanks to a few exceptions to the new rules. For example, you won't need a code for purchases of up to €30 (around £27).
You will then be able to make five payments of up to this amount — or spend €100 (£89) in total — before being asked for extra verification.

I suppose if the thieve has your card and your phone it they can still use your card. ;) Within a few months the thieves will probably have a workaround anyway.