Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By schufti
#84396 not serial, wifi Tx. Somehow the hf from the esp interfered with the transport from flash to µC. The first working attempt was reducing the flash speed but the final solution was to reduce the wifi power to the limit mentioned in the datasheet. (unfortunately the default in the esp arduino core is too high when going 802.11n)
By cjohnson355
schufti wrote:not serial, wifi Tx. Somehow the hf from the esp interfered with the transport from flash to µC. The first working attempt was reducing the flash speed but the final solution was to reduce the wifi power to the limit mentioned in the datasheet. (unfortunately the default in the esp arduino core is too high when going 802.11n)

Sorry misunderstood what you meant in the last post.

Well if I lower the wifi power, hopefully the increase in range I get from moving the antenna off the edge of the PCB will balance.
By eriksl
#84902 Additionally, the CH_EN and RST lines are quite high impedance by themselves. If left unconnected they will get pull high by internal circuitry but you really can't rely on that. You probably already connected external pull-ups to these, but in my experience that's not even sufficient for these lines no to pick up inductive noise.

So what I do is use a pull-up resistor which quite a high value (something like 10 k), apply it to both RST and CH_EN and then, and there is the important part, also apply a ceramic capacitor between RST+CH_EN and ground, so the "high" value from pull-up remains "high" in a stable way and is not interfered by fluctuating power supply or other noise. And that seems to work quite well.