Chat freely about anything...

By trackerj
ArnieO wrote:
Michel_J wrote:
Eyal wrote:In November I bought these
[banggood]ESP8266-serial-WIFI-industry-milepost-type-ESP-07/32220241193.html[/banggood]
which also work fine. But an esp-12 from this shop took over 6 weeks to *ship*, and only after I opened a dispute.

Had the same problem with seller named Small Mall. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

Here is a reliable website with great selection/prices for ESP modules:

I have the same experience with Banggod vs Alienexpress. The first one clearly more reliable IMHO.

+1 for banggood. Decent quality, no problems to report yet with http://www.banggood.com/ESP8266-ESP-07-Remote-Serial-Port-WIFI-Transceiver-Wireless-Module-p-968190.htmlreceived modules (link)[/url]

Had some bad experiences in the past, this are the nastiest ones:
- with Ebay Sellers: It was a major QC factory problem (link) but despite the fact that it's clear a defective product was unable to obtain any response than : "they left good for us, decaping lost your waranty" <- exactly quoted
- aliexpress - still waiting some after 9 weeks!. dispute opened, they are saying that deliver has been done, shipping company problems ?!

Generally speaking, quality might vary a lot, from seller to seller, as a general rule don't look exactly afterthe cheapest one in town, might be a scam or a deffective one.
By philm
#21468 Hello everyone,

I received my first ESP module today and am about to experiment with it. Now, this is my first time using it and the documentation is lacking to put it nicely. Seeing as there are a number of issues, I would like to take the time to ask a few questions to get mine operable. Please, I hope that someone from the community will reply. I have one with the cream color antenna and I brought this from DIYmall on Amazon

So, I apply 3.3 V to Vcc and connect ground. Right now, I am getting solid blue and red light. Is this normal? Looking at the power supply, I am not drawing any current. I think that something is wrong. I also have this reset pin. Should I tie this to logic low?

Looking at my connections manager on windows (I am on a laptop) I do NOT see a SSID from the chip. I am thinking that something is wrong. Is it suppose to be able to broadcast a SSID right out of the box or do I need to setup something with the AT commands? This leads into my next question.

I see that alot of people here are at first pluging in a FTDI chip first thing and connecting certain pins to it. I take it that I have to use serial commands to initially configure the WiFi chip. Is this a correct assumption? Also, can I assume that the AT command firmware is already on the chip or should I flash it anyways?

When I connect GPIO5 to 3.3 volts (only VCC and GND are connected), the blue LED turns off and the chip is now drawing 23mA of current. From the previous posts, it looks like that this allows the controller to go into programming so that the FTDI chip will work. Is this correct?
By trackerj
philm wrote:Hello everyone,

I received my first ESP module today and am about to experiment with it. Now, this is my first time using it and the documentation is lacking to put it nicely. Seeing as there are a number of issues, I would like to take the time to ask a few questions to get mine operable. Please, I hope that someone from the community will reply. I have one with the cream color antenna and I brought this from DIYmall on Amazon

So, I apply 3.3 V to Vcc and connect ground. Right now, I am getting solid blue and red light. Is this normal? Looking at the power supply, I am not drawing any current. I think that something is wrong. I also have this reset pin. Should I tie this to logic low?

Looking at my connections manager on windows (I am on a laptop) I do NOT see a SSID from the chip. I am thinking that something is wrong. Is it suppose to be able to broadcast a SSID right out of the box or do I need to setup something with the AT commands? This leads into my next question.

I see that alot of people here are at first pluging in a FTDI chip first thing and connecting certain pins to it. I take it that I have to use serial commands to initially configure the WiFi chip. Is this a correct assumption? Also, can I assume that the AT command firmware is already on the chip or should I flash it anyways?

When I connect GPIO5 to 3.3 volts (only VCC and GND are connected), the blue LED turns off and the chip is now drawing 23mA of current. From the previous posts, it looks like that this allows the controller to go into programming so that the FTDI chip will work. Is this correct?

For a basic setup/testing this getting started guide might help you with the first steps in the ESP World:

Part 1 - Wiring
Part 2 - Firmware programming