Your new topic does not fit any of the above??? Check first. Then post here. Thanks.

Moderator: igrr

By mrburnette
#59921 What Windows closed, you can open up:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3114787/open-firewall-ports-windows.html

All Ms did was block UDP by default. I think it is silly, but "MS" does stand for monkey sh*t, doesn't it? I long ago dumped all Microsoft and went over to Linux.

Ray
ex-MCSE
By picstart
#59924 When testing this awhile back I temporarily removed the win10 firewall. It doesn't seem to allow a UDP broadcast message though the MS low level socket code. It is something to do with the broadcast and it may work if the sender ip and port is specified. esp's will accept a broadcast message I don't think they can get through MS socket code Firewall opened or not.Wireshark can display a packet MS firewall open or closed so I surmise Wireshark's code doesn't use most of MS API's
By RigTig
#59965 Here is a project using UDP to communicate between parts. This part receives UDP (see https://hackaday.io/project/18533-esp8266-stepper-driver. A related project does the sending, but not yet documenting that bit just yet. The project uses punyforth.

The ease of that setting up depends upon the operating system and the language chosen. Using punyforth (language) on ESP12 (system) here are the complete instructions for receiving (they could be even more brief, but these were copied from working code):
Code: Select all\ network setup
str: "password" str: "ssid" wifi-connect \ change strings for your own network

\ UDP server
128 buffer: data
variable: udp-server
58888 str: "0.0.0.0" netcon-udp-server udp-server ! \ anything received by this IP port 58888

\ simple test
udp-server @  128 data netcon-readln
cr print: 'received bytes ' .
cr data type
netcon-dispose ;

Now, here is the code for the UDP client (thanks to @zeroflag - see https://github.com/zeroflag/punyforth):
Code: Select allstr: "Lorem ipsum" constant: data
str: "192.168.0.3" constant: SERVER_IP
8005 constant: SERVER_PORT
SERVER_PORT SERVER_IP UDP netcon-connect
dup data 11 netcon-send-buf
netcon-dispose
By mrburnette
picstart wrote:When testing this awhile back I temporarily removed the win10 firewall. It doesn't seem to allow a UDP broadcast message though the MS low level socket code.
<...>

I stopped using Windows when Microsoft started aggressively pushing '10 ... So. 8.1 fully-patch is the last experience I can talk to with knowledge. However, if disabling (or punching a hole) in Win 10 firewall for UDP does not work, why would the PC user continue to use Win 10 when Linux offers a superior environment?

My opinion: use Win 10 to run Office, Outlook, and Windows-centric application s/w. For development, learn Linux (it's easy). Linux can easily run on an old notebook that no longer supports W10... a 1 CPU PC with 2g of RAM is adequate... A dual-core PC with 4G RAM is an excellent device and can easily be acquired used/refurbished for under $200... Often around $100 - $120 in "B" used state. Stick in a $75 SSD or 7200RPM disk for increased performance.

Ray
Ex: MCSE